I just made this! It’s amazing! I ended up using honey instead of maple syrup, since I didn’t have any, and it took a bit more to make it as sweet as I like. I think next time I will try it with syrup and without cayenne. It was a bit too spicy for me. Overall, this is the best healthy dessert recipe I have ever made. And holy moly…. The crust…. I might just make it by itself. It’s incredible.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
FOR THE PIE FILLING:
- 2 lb. purple yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds (about 4 cups worth)
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (not low fat)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (see notes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cayenne pepper (neither amounts are very spicy but the 1/2 teaspoon does stand out more)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
FOR THE COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 can of full fat, additive free coconut milk (make sure it does not contain guar gum)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a large bowl then transfer them to the prepared pie pan. Wet your hands lightly to prevent the crust from sticking to them then press the crust into the pan, making sure it is even on the sides and bottom.
- Visit Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Pie @ theendlessmeal.com for full directions.